Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soprano uke bracing (Read 6044 times)
haoleguy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland Oregon
Soprano uke bracing
Feb 6th, 2008 at 8:21am

After building several Tenor ukes, Iv'e decided to try building a soprano. I'm copying an older martin soprano uke that I have and noticed that there is no fan bracing on the sound board. Is this common for soprano sized ukes? For those soprano uke builders out there, what kind of bracing do you use on the soundbard and do you include a sound hole & bridge patch?
Thanks in advance
Rick

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Re: Soprano uke bracing
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 9:37am

Hi Rick,
My only experience building a soprano was a Stewart-MacDonald kit.  There was no fan bracing but there was a bridge patch.  I think that is pretty standard for a soprano. 
  I'm sure someone else will have some ideas also.

Lefty

IP Logged

haoleguy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 8:43am

Thanks Lefty. That makes sense, with a small surface area bracing would be overkill.
Mahalo
Rick

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 7:03am

Rick,

I took a look at two soprano ukulele I have and neither had any fan bracing. They both had bridge plates and 2 horizontal braces above and below the sound hole just like almost finished Stewmac kit I have.

Hope this helps

Philip

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 9:53pm

Philip,
  How do you like the Stew-Mac kit?  I can not believe how good mine sounds.  It's better than my Martin S0.

Lefty

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

my playing is my singing

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 7:12am

Lefty,

Congratulations it sounds like your kit turned out pretty good. How about a photo?

My kit was purchased just as Stew Mac was starting to sell them on their web site. I have been disappointed with the quality of my kit. However, I have also heard stories like yours where the people are quite satisfied. I think that they have improved the quality of the kits since I bought mine. The parts to my kit were not the best. The top and the back were cut so close they were hard to use. In fact, the bottom of the back was cut so short I had to have it replaced.  Angry I had to do repairs to end blocks including adding material because one was cut short. Currently it’s boxed and fretted and waiting for me to put the neck on. I’m still trying to decide if I want to build a new bridge or use the provided one that I don’t really care for. One thing I know is that I will replace the nut and saddle with bone.

At the moment my building is on hold. All my time is in preparing to go to Reno the first week of March to play in the World Poker Tour event. Grin  Of course, I am playing in one of the lower level events and trying to win my way to the main event since I can’t afford the $10,000.00 entry fee. You never know what will happen because it is a combination of skill and luck. Hopefully, I will get back to building when I’m done.

Philip

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 9:38pm

Philip.
I enjoyed building the Stew-Mac kit.  Not the highest grade wood but it really sounds good.  I know what you mean about the bridge. 
Here are a few photos.
Lefty

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

my playing is my singing

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Nice job Lefty! Grin

If I ever get a chance to finish mine I will post a photo.

Philip

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 9:29pm

Thanks Philip,
I was real happy with the results, it being my first build.
Lefty

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2008 at 10:00am

Full Scale Soprano (13.5" scale) uke plans are now available! (Finally)

http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/Detail?no=98

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:48pm

I just checked out a mahalo UK220 soprano uke that I have. It has a laminated top, but is still not one of the ultra cheap $30 ones (wasn't too expensive either though  Smiley). It has no soundhole patch. The top thickness is about 1.6 - 1.8 mm. It has two cross braces just above and below the soundhole, and one central fan brace running from the waist cross bar, down to the tail block area. There is also a very narrow (not sure how thick) bridge patch/brace running across the soundboard under the bridge.

Seems like overkill to me?

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us