HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions wanted about black walnut (Read 1473 times)
Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Suggestions wanted about black walnut
Apr 1st, 2008 at 6:13am

Recently I was lucky enough to come across a man that had a dead black walnut tree on his land that he wanted to cut down.

He found out that I am a luthier, so he gave me a log.
It is about 5' long x 8'' thick at the thickest point ( about 5'' thick at the thinnest pont ).

It looked like an ugly brown log on the outside, but further in, there was a whiteish yellowis wood, and in the center ( about 5" thick ) was a beautiful purpleish brown wood.

I stripped off the ugly outer wood, and am in the process of taking off the whitish wood so that only the purple/ brown wood will be left.

I know that the wood is dry because it has been dead for a while. I also know that the wood is hard, because the man dulled his chainsaw blade in the process of two cuts to get me the log.

Here is my question: ( about time Bob  Tongue )

I know that I want to take advantage of having this beautiful wood, by making something for my Ukulele, the only thing is that I don't know what I want to use it for.

I was considering using it to make a fretboard and bridge, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions from all you seasoned builders out there?

Mahalo

Bob 8)

IP Logged

Jeff B
Junior Uke

Aloha!

Amelia, OH (near Cincinnati)
Re: Suggestions wanted about black walnut
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 6:33am

Though not like koa, walnut makes really pretty sides and backs. Yup, it is HARD! And also hard to bend. Go slow when you do.

Should make nice bridges.

I'm not sure about it as a soundboard or fretboard material. But, what the heck? Try it and see...

Jeff

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 7:04am

Yeah, I was thinking about using it for a bridge too.

I am also gonna see if I can make it a fretboard, the wost that can happen is that it will break, and that isn't so bad, because this new luthier ( me ) can learn a valuable lesson.

Thanks again.
Bob 8)

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 9:22am

Bob:
I expect that it would make an excellent fret-board.

Bob

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:10am

Well, here are a few pics of the balck walnut wood that I cut.

I cut up alot of pieces, but these are the ones that I decided to use for the fretboard, and bridge.

They are not cut to size or dimention yet, I will do that later, I just wanted to keep you guys updated on my progress.

Mahalo for the interest.

Bob 8)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us