HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oak Neck? (Read 1104 times)
Mr_Roboto

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oak Neck?
Apr 20th, 2008 at 3:40pm

I decided to try to make a neck and headstock out of a piece of white oak, largely to see if I could do it with my saw.  It was meant as practice, but with some more sanding might be good enough to use. 

I got a pre-slotted rosewood fingerboard (and wire from Asa).  Any reason not to use the oak with the mahogany resonant chamber I've built?   ???

I also got some of the "Hana Lima Ia" black poly binding.  I've never used binding before.  I was going to try it this time.  How to install? ???

Mahalo! Grin

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Re: Oak Neck?
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 3:57am

Domo Arigato Roboto San Grin

Just kidding.
Anyway, I used oak for the neck in my first Ukulele build ( which I am working on now ) and I think that it worked out well.

As far as will it effect anything with the sound chamber, I couldn't tell you, because I am only just about to attach the sides to the sound board.

Good luck, and keep building.
Please post up some pics when you you get the time, we all like to see how other builders are coming on their projects.

Aloha
Bob 8)

IP Logged

Mr_Roboto

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Oak Neck?
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 12:06pm

Some say it will affect tone of instrument...   Undecided

Strings run along length, so neck has to resonate somewhat...

Don't know what to do...  ???

Thanks for replying.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us