HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re-Entrant or Low-G Kashas? (Read 2725 times)
Henri_VIII

Re-Entrant or Low-G Kashas?
Apr 26th, 2008 at 4:39am

Aloha All,

I haven't built or even heard a Kasha/Schneider 'ukulele in person (yet!) but I would think that the K/S bracing particularly helps to reinforce the bass.

Have you found this to be the case?

If so, I would think that a Low-G K/S would sound especially rich compared to a Fan-braced 'ukulele.  True?

How about re-entrant K/S instruments?

Has anyone built otherwise identical 'ukuleles, one with Fan bracing and the other with K/S?  If so, how do they compare?

Mucho Mahalo,

Henri in Central Florida, way too many miles from Aloha-land

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Re: Re-Entrant or Low-G Kashas?
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2008 at 5:52pm

Hi Henry,

I asked much the same questions a little while ago. I'm in the process of building my first modified Kasha uke at the moment.

The answers I got were that the Kasha bracing design will produce better results than the fan braced design, whether it is re-entrant or Low G. However, theoretically the low G tuning will suit better, due to the principle behind the Kasha soundboard bracing design.

In my mind, when a string is plucked, it vibrates the whole bridge, and the soundboard then responds by vibrating at that frequency. If the high G string is plucked, even though it is on the "bass" side of the kasha bracing layout, it will still get the "treble" side of the soundboard to respond, since the string vibrates the whole bridge.

Anyway, for my first Kasha uke, I'm going down the low G path, because I don't have a low G uke, and I like the concept of the physics behind the Kasha design, so I want to stay kind of true to it.

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Henri_VIII

Re: Re-Entrant or Low-G Kashas?
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2008 at 10:07am

Thanks, Matt -- it seems that we're assuming similar ideas -- I hope that we're both not all wet.

Let us all know how your ukulele comes out and how it sounds as will I when I finally get to building mine in the Fall.

Mahalo,
Henri

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us