HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
damp napkin replacement. (Read 2477 times)
Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
damp napkin replacement.
May 3rd, 2008 at 2:11pm

So, today I was installing my tentalone blocks.
I decided to go the individual block route, because I found out the my bending jig is incorrectly shapped.

I digress, anyway so as I was going along, I was using a damp papertowel as the Hana Lima Manual says to for glue clean up.

I found that, because of the wood I am using, the towel would shred very quickly when it was wet, and I would have little bits of paper that I would have to pick off.

Then I got an idea.
For those of you that don't know, I have a 7 onth old son. I got the idea to use one of his baby wipes instead  for the cleanup.

My process was this.
I would take my pocket knife in place of the straw that the manual talks about. I would gently take off the glue with the tip of my knife, and then wipe it on the baby wipe. It worked perfectly. I used 2 wiped for the final 2 hours this morning, compared to 6 paper towels for the first hour.

So just wanted to pass on my findings to everyone else.
Baby wipes work better than damp paper towels.

I will post up some more pics soon, once I sand down the tentalone blocks on the back board side.

Hope this helps

Aloha
Bob 8)

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Re: damp napkin replacement.
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2008 at 4:38am

ok, so here are some pictures of my progress.

Thanks to all those that are interested in my very first build.

Here is a picture of the inside after I finished sanding the tentalone blocks this morning.

Here is a picture of the backboard being dry fit onto the sides.
Notice how I made it so that the heal extends higher so that I wont need a heel cap.

And here is a picture of the inside of the backboard, after I marked the bracing to be trimmed.

More pictures to follow as I am able to do more work.
So far, I have put about 104 hours of work into this project over the last 8 months.
I love doing this stuff.

Aloha
Bob 8)

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2008 at 6:16am

Bob:
That graft looks awfully heavy. I suspect that it could reduce the sound to almost nothing. You should think about replacing it with sanded-down soundboard or back material. A strip of veneer could also work.
It looks like you are using a single piece of wood for the back so you don't need that graft at all.

Just my opinion.

Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008 at 9:14pm

Bob,

the back graft is huge. It is only a very thin support piece to keep the back from opening up in the future. also, the grain of the support should run cross grain. You can also take a lot of mass off your braces by cutting the side in to a point on the top (like a triangle) and still keep the strength. You said this was a learning ukulele and a work in progress so everyone is adding information.

I was just about to post this had started laughling. Pleae understand I am not laughing at you but just found humor in something.  You said how many hours you have in and then i thougt of the Hawaii minumum wate of $7.25 and realize that your ukulele is already worth $754.00 before its finished. Grin  I do understand that when you build for yourself or you are learning time is not a important as if you are building for profit.

Take care

Philip

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2008 at 6:02am

Yeah, I knew that this was a bigger than usual graft when I put it on, but that was the only acceptable ( so I thought ) thing that I had at the time.

I am going to leave it on, and I will learn accordingly.
I am very thankful for the advice that I get from all of you. This Ukulele project has taught me very many things about wood working and luthiery ( of which I formerly knew nothing ).

To Philip:
A few things I want to say.

Yes, I have spent a long time on this build, for several reasons.

You know that when a luthier is first starting out, they need to build every jig that they will use.
That part took alot of time, because it was my first build.

Also, because I didn't have enough money to buy the Hana Lima Kit when I first started this project, I had to do alot of things the I wouldn't have had to do in the class.
For example, I said that I used a skimboard as the material for the front and back board. That means that I had the extra steps of stripping the vynl covering, plenty of sanding, cutting out the shapes, etc.
That is just one example of how I had to make do with what I had.

As to the Ukulele's value.
When I finish this Ukulele, ( as far as monitary value goes ) I doubt that it will be worth $100.
However, as far as experience, and learning new things goes, it will be worth very much more.

I am going to finish this build, because I am learing so much.

Thanks to all who try to help me be a better luthier.

Bob 8)
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2008 at 9:33am by Acabooe »  

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2008 at 1:06pm

Hi Bob,

How did the allignment of the sides end up working out? You said that you made a "miscalculation" in the construction of your bending jig, and it left your sides a little off at the upper bout.

It's unbelievable how much you can learn in the first build isn't it. I surprised myself first time around. Like you, I spent ages building my first set of jigs, and assembling a collection of tools. Second time around, I have worked out better ways to do almost everything so far (through further research and experience), and as a result, I am spending heaps of time re-building my jigs. The extra time is paying off though, with each task being completed with less stress/complications and having a better result.

I have a large collection of progress pictures, and I will begin posting some of them soon. I will probably start up a new topic for everyone to show progress pictures on. It is a really good way to see how others do things.

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2008 at 1:33pm

Matt,

Things went ok.
You are right, my bending jig was off, because I didn't have a band saw, or scroll saw, so I cut it out with a table saw, and then used a crap load of sand paper.

after the sides were glued on, I checked how it looks, the upper bout is a little too big, and the lower bout is a little too small, but it still fits within the size of the back board, so I am still happy.
You are right, I am learning very much, and I have cvome up with alot of theings that didn't work so well this build, that I could do better on next time.

Since I am moving to Hawai'i I wount be able to take any of the jigs that did work with me, so it is starting from scratch next time too.

The difference is that I will have a bit of experience and kn0wledge the next time.
My jigs will be correct next time around.
Plus if I am unsure, I can just pop in and ask mike or asa if this is right.

I like the idea of a " show your progress " thread.
We can all learn alot from each other, if we all keep an open mind.

I will show further updates as I am able to woodwork.

Aloha
Bob 8)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us