HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I need help with tuners. (Read 6242 times)
Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
I need help with tuners.
Sep 16th, 2008 at 2:38pm

I am working on a project right now that is a little different.
i don't want to give too much away until it is done but the thing that I need help with is the tuners.
I am trying to make my Ukulele have wooden friction tuners, similar to that on a violin ( but different too ).
I have cut one set of holes for one of the tuners, and even before I put a string on it, i can tell that it might be difficult for the thing to stay in tune, because of sliping.
Does any one have any suggestions on how I might remedy this problem?

any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha
Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: I need help with tuners.
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 6:11pm

Bob,
I have a few thoughts but first I have a question: Why? One of the reasons we build instruments is to have quality sound and proper intonation. †Wooden friction pegs would have a 1-1 ratio for tuning and then you still need to press the tuner into the hole to secure it. I actually only used them one time and for me they were worthless. They are just plain hard to work with. These were traditional when there was no access to other tuners and the builders just made their own. Since that time there are a variety of modern tuners that are used and the wooden friction pegs were dumped. Traditional doesnít necessarily mean better itís just what was in common usage at the time or could be made inexpensively.

Please excuse my above reply I mean no offense by it. It is my opinion only and certainly you can go any direction you wish and thatís how it should be.

As far as the wooden friction pegs go I have limited knowledge in their use. The pegs need to be shaped to a 3 or 5 degree angle. The hole needs to match the same degree as the peg so the two pieces can mate with each other. †Below are a couple of links that may help. Click on the photos of link 1 to open up other information.

Best of Luck,

Philip

http://www.bearmeadow.com/build/methods/pegs/index.html
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Ukulele/WoodUkePeg/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuning_peg

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 6:46pm

Dear Philip,

To answer your question, all I will say is "Why not"? As this is only my second Ukulele that I have made, I am still learning. That means that I am going to follow an idea through until the end, and see how it turns out. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont, but I am learning as I go.

Thanks for the links, I did find a piece of info that was helpful in them.

I'll put up pics once it is finished.

Aloha
Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:37pm

Bob,

You should do what you want! I'm glad the links helped. It's just for me personally I have never been able to tune with any kind of peg tuner. I will look forward to seeing your photos.

Philip

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 3:19pm

Philip:
I am on your side on this one. As my boss used to say " Let's not re-invent the wheel".

Bob:
This might just show you how far we have come in the last hundred years.

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:53pm

Well, I started to put the tru oil on today, which means that my project is almost finished, so once it is done, I'll put up pics, and all of you can judge for yourselves if it was stupid or not.

I feel that for this specific project geared tuners, or metal friction tuners wouldn't fit the design style, but you'll see n a few days.

Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

my playing is my singing

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:40pm

Bob,

Iím sure that we will all look forward to seeing your new ukulele when finished. Thatís one thing thatís nice here on the forum is that we all share what we make and what we know. Part of this interaction invariably brings a variety of opinions and personal preferences.  But this is what makes the forum interesting.  Sometimes it is easy to read something into a posting that isnít necessarily the intention of the poster. Iím only passing my thoughts along because you used the word stupid. I donít think anyone here thinks that you or your project is subpar in anyway. Were making musical instruments and from what I know they can be made just about any way you can imagine. Sometimes we can all be surprised by a design or unique approach that just amazes us. The bottom line is thanks for always sharing. Please donít take anything said personal because that is not how posting are meant. Itís just sharing so accept what you like and disregard the rest. Wink

Take care,

Philip

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us