HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Glue(s) to use for... (Read 4042 times)
mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Which Glue(s) to use for...
Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:09am

I was just about to start construction of my first ukulele using Titebond iii (Titebond 3). So, of course, I had to do some Internet searching to assure myself that this was a good glue for this application. There were many positive opinions, but also, many negative opinions. For example, on luthiersforum.com, some people said that, because it is a waterproof glue, it never fully hardens, and therefore the joints can creep over time. That's creepy.
Anyway.. having already made this post too long, what are youall's feelings about the best glue for most things like soundbox, neck, etc assembly.
Thanks...

IP Logged

obmissy-

Ukulele Lover!

San Diego, CA and Kahuku, HI
Re: Which Glue(s) to use for...
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:41am

I use Titebond Original: the one with the red cap.  So far no failures.  And it is forgiving if you have to "unglue" something.
Good luck on your first build,
Lori

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:48am

A couple of weeks ago, on the fleamarket music board, a custom ukulele builder said that he had built a baritone seventeen years ago using Titebond and was still waiting for it to creep. You can check that out at www.fleamarketmusic.com.
It was Duane and the thread was "Compensating a saddle".

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:02am

Another vote for Original Titebond.  I'm no chemist, but I have read that TitebondIII is a different animal and shouldn't be used for instruments.

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:47am

Thanks everyone. I am now sure that Titebond Original is the way to go.

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 9:04am

I did the exact same thing as you, mblue, when I made my first uke last year.  I started with Titebond III, but as I continued to research I found that the original Titebond is the glue used by most luthiers - that and hide glue.  So I made the switch early in my project and everything worked out great from there on.

One problem with the Titebond III is that it dries darker, and since one of the first things I did was glue up my soundboard - spruce - I have a tan line running down the middle of the front of my uke.  It's not as noticeable since I finished with TruOil, but you can still see it.  That's another reason to stick with Titebond Original.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 9:00pm

I only have a few builds but I have always heard to use the original Titebond.  But lately I have heard a lot of talk about the Instrument makers glue sold by L.M.I.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?searchtext=glue&NameProdHeader=Ins...

You might want to check it out.

Lefty

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 9:46am

aloha all....Use original Franklin Titebond and you will have no problems in your construction period! End of story!   laters ukeman

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 12:48pm

Thanks Ukeman.. The more things that do not require me to make a decision, the better!

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2008 at 5:25am

Hey,

I just read a post on another guitar forum about making you own bindings.  The builder was gluing a contrasting veneer on to the edge of his binding.  He uses Titebond III for this because it doesn't delaminate under heat when he prebends his bindings.  Guess it just goes to show that there may always be a time when it is right to use a different glue for a specific purpose.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2008 at 4:24pm

Mark:
The reason that original titebond is used is because it will separate using heat and so allows the instrument to be repaired.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us