HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baritone Cutaway Bending Mold (Read 2573 times)
Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Baritone Cutaway Bending Mold
Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:03am

Whats I gots is a set of plans, a heating blanket, and the wood.  Whats I ain't gots is a bending form.  So far I haven't been able to find a picture of a mold that gots the Venetian cutaway so's I can copy it.  Any of youse guys done this thing yet.  Come on, there's gots to be somebody out there that's as crazy as me.  If so, please post a pic of your mold.

Thanks a bunch,

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Baritone Cutaway Bending Mold
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 9:42am

yo mark...check out the post under the heat blanket control question..a mandolin bender is pictured....check out picture and same theory...bending cauls (dowels) at major points....waist, head and tail and in your case at the cutaway....make a baritone 1/2 shape...yes both sides...one the 1/2 baritone shape and the other the 1/2 baritone with the cutaway...yup two molds...or get away with one but ya need to have an add on at the cutaway to make it back to the regular baritone shape...check out the phote...ignore the mount of the dimmer controls and you will get the idea of a bender.....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 1:30pm

Hey Ukeman,

I looked at that picture and figured it would be something real similar.  What has me freaking is the tight radii on the plan.  Was actually hoping I'd get some feed back on making those tight bends.  I guess I should have asked the right question if I wanted the right answer, huh!

Could I get some info on that aspect from you or anyone who has tried it?

I've read on a guitar forum that some folks thin down just the area of the cutaway, more than the rest of that side.  Anyone got a dimension on thickness that works?

Thanks,

Mark Schrier

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

jack

Ukulele Lover!

Hendersonville, NC
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:39am

I have just bent the sides for a kasha cutaway in brazilian rosewood with great fear.  I have a blues creek bending machine, which I altered to handle the small size.  I made a steam box connected to a wall paper steamer and heated the side for 10 min then bent with a heat blacket and 16 ga stainless straps! worked fantastic, no checks, cracks, or scorching, tight bend fits plans perfectly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us