HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question regarding cutting slots on a fretboard-Nq (Read 2887 times)
drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

question regarding cutting slots on a fretboard-Nq
Jan 19th, 2009 at 6:53pm

Hi everyone!...I am building my first uke from a Grizzly kit...I don't like the fretboard it came with so I bought a nice bubinga fretboard blank and fretwire from the Hana Lima'Ia store...According to the Hana Lima manual, they recommend using a fret saw with a 0.22 inch thick blade...Problem is I don't have that kind of saw...And I would prefer not to have to buy one yet(specially cause I can only find 0.23 thickness)...I see the Hana Lima store sells a zona jewelers saw and they have a 0 .22 inch thick blade that fits it...Could I use that to cut the slots?...Or i am better off by buying a 0.23 inch thick fret saw with stop mechanism I saw at the stewart macdonald website?...Thanks guys.

IP Logged

obmissy-

Ukulele Lover!

San Diego, CA and Kahuku, HI
Re: question regarding cutting slots on a fretboard-Nq
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:04am

Aloha drfrancov,
You can use the zona saw that HanaLima sells.  It works great.  I have made several ukes that way before I bought a blade for my table saw.  I did not buy any sort of stop mechanism, rather I clamped a block of wood  to the fretboard at each slot to use as a guide. To get the proper depth I put a piece of masking tape on the saw to the depth I wanted.  When I got to the masking tape I knew my depth was where I wanted it.  It works very well.  Just take your time and be precise.
Good luck.
Lori

IP Logged

drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 7:28am

Thanks for your answer. That's what I was looking for...BTW, if i can't find lemon oil for the fretboard what else can I use?...Would Murphy's soap oil work?...Or any other ideas?...I live in Ironwood, MI and there is only 1 music store in town, so coming by things can be a little challenging!

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 4:04pm

drfrancov:
I use two coats of Watco Danish oil on my bridge and fretboard. On my present build, I used two coats on the whole uke before I started truoil.
I think that I had some great Mexican food in Ironwood this summer.

Good luck

Bob

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 9:48am

I use the zona fret saw and mitre box as well, and they both work fine.
I saw a thing on frets.com that helps you flip the handle to make it a pull saw and that makes it even easier.
The jewlers saw would most likely be too flimsy to cut fret slots, especially since bubinga is a very hard wood.
I use 3 coats of regular baby oil on my fretboards, and they have a nice satin finish.
The cool thing about building ukes, is that you decide how you want to do it. Maybe it will work, maybe not, but just have fun doing it.
Aloha
Bob

IP Logged

drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:40pm

Thanks Bob. I will give it a shot!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us