HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fretboard work (Read 2356 times)
drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

fretboard work
Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:43pm

So I leveled all my frets...But the top of the fretwire is flat...How do  I get them round again...Do I need to get a special file or is there any other way to do it?...

IP Logged

drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

Re: fretboard work
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 4:31am

Guys...never mind...I bought a set of crowning files.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 4:57pm

A quick tip for an alternate crowning tool...cheap and purty effective:

Purchase sanding sticks from hardware store, woodcraft or mail order...these are plastic sanders that come with a series of mini belts..you change or install belts by pressing the end of the stick which depresses via a hidden spring and you can slip on a mini belt with no real effort. Sanding belts can come very fine ...to use    the tip of the sanding stick is flat...carefully file a v into the center of the tip with a feather file....make the v deep enough so that when you slip on a belt and press the sanding belt into the v groove the belt will fold just right to use as a crowning or polishing fret wire tool..a few strokes...move the belt and sand some more...very cost effective....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 10:13pm

Hey Ukeman,

I see the kits for the sanding sticks come with different ranges of grit.  One set comes with 80, 120, 180, and 240 grits.  The other has 240, 320, 400, and 600 grits.  Can you tell us which grits you find most useful for crowning frets?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:07pm

aloha Mark...stick with the finer grits....most fretwire are silver/nickel composite material...very soft stuff..thats why when fret leveling not too much pressure on whatever you are leveling with because those frets will get very, very flat real quick...leaving you with lots of recrowning work...trick to leveling is to work lightly and work the highs .......later   ukeman

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Thanks, Ukeman

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us