HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
installing frets (Read 2126 times)
drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

installing frets
Feb 2nd, 2009 at 7:44am

So i bought a couple of the pre-slotted bubinga fretboard blanks from Hana Lima store (soprano)...I also bought the fret wire from the store....I installed the frets yesterday and they look great!...The question I have is the following: if I look at the sides on the fretboard, I can see a space between the end of the fret twang and the bottom of the pre made slot...Is this ok?...I first thought the fret wire wasn't sitting right (deep enough) so I tried to push them in harder (using the fret hammer sold at the store)....Am I missing something?...I know the fret wire sits flush with the top of the fingerboard so i don't see how to go deeper...Help please!...Yes I am doing everything by hand with no power tools (no drill press available)...Thanks

IP Logged

obmissy-

Ukulele Lover!

San Diego, CA and Kahuku, HI
Re: installing frets
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 8:46am

Not to worry. This is normal.

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 9:39am

The slots are slightly deeper than the length of the fretwire tang.  The reason why is to make certain that the fretwire will seat flush to the fretboard.  If the depth of the slots were exactly the height of the tang you would run into problems. 

You may cover up the ends of your fretwire by binding the fretboard.  This is a bit more advanced, but there is always an option:

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 10:58am

Thanks for the idea...I am still quite green on the building process...Down the line I could try this idea though.

Regards,

Franklin

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:02pm

hey franklin....for your extra space fretboard gap problem the quickest and most efficient solution is to fine sand a remnant scrap of your fingerboard material with 220 grit sandpaper under a clean sheet of paper to collect the fine dust from the 220 sanding...the backside of your fingerboard is excellent if its not installed yet!  Mix the fine dust with a few drops of original titebond into a gravy like consistency..take a toothpick...dip tip into slurry and fill every gap under the fretwire on both edges of the fingerboard....let dry a few hours....sand with 220      and.....magic, no gaps!   laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us