HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What type of finish do you use? (Read 9547 times)
mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

What type of finish do you use?
Feb 16th, 2009 at 7:12am

I love almost everything about Tru-Oil, except it ends up being more glossy that I would like. I prefer more of a satin look.
I would like to hear what you all use for finishing. Maybe there is something that I have not thought of.
Thanks for all responses...

IP Logged

Zippyzingo

Ukulele Lover!

Re: What type of finish do you use?
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:26am

I don't know of any way to get a real satin finish unless you spray it on but very fine ( 000 or 0000 grade ) steel wool will give you something like a satin look.  It's not exactly the same since it isn't as random as the spray pattern but using it over the body of your uke may give you the satin look you want.

You might try making some finish samples then experiment with steel wool on these to find your look.

ZZ

IP Logged

drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:40pm

I have used Formby's Tung oil finish...There is high and low gloss...I would go with the low gloss type...Make sure you do all your sanding very well and that you don't have any glue marks/stains as this stuff really brings up any imperfection/marks/stains on the wood...I used it on mahogany and it really brings the grain up!

Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

jack

Ukulele Lover!

Hendersonville, NC
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 5:50am

I use nitro laquer, or varnish, but on some gutar necks, where players really don't want high gloss, I have used Liberon Finishing Oil which is manufactured for the kitchen cabinet and toy markets.  It gives a smooth soft sheen, and is applied just like tru oil. I get it at woodcraft, and it is made in England.  You can make any finish satin by using 00,000 steel wool rather than 0000.
Jack

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 10:24am

Liberon finishing oil sounds interesting. I will go by Woodcraft and get some.
I will see if they have some of that steel wool also.
Thanks for these ideas

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 8:43am

Hi Jack, I did not know that there is finer steel wool than 0000.
I have looked for the 00,000 steel wool that you mentioned and so far I have not located any. I tried Rockler and Woodcraft..
Can you tell me where to find some? Thank you...

IP Logged

drfrancov

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 11:22am

I think he meant 0000 steel wool and 00 steel wool.

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Here is a test to try for a satin finish.
Try it on a test piece which is sanded like your ukulele. Apply Truoil, spread it as usual and then rub it dry with a cloth or paper towel. This may give you a satin finish if you rub it really dry.

Its worth a test.

Bob

IP Logged

jack

Ukulele Lover!

Hendersonville, NC
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:30am

I did indeed mean coarser grades  000 and 00.  I think you will also find that there is a great deal of difference from one company to another, on the grading of grits, from sandpaper to steel wool.  This is a case where the more expensive products, cost more for a reason.

I have just applied the first coat of filler, to a Kasha braced cutaway baritone, will get some photos posted soon
Jack

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:03am

Ok Jack, thanks.. I just had it in my head that you must be talking about something even finer than 0000. I had never thought of going courser, but I will definitely try it on some test wood. Thanks.

IP Logged

Quine

Any Uke Builders in St
Louis??

St Louis, MO
Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 3:30am

Shellac!! 
I used to use tru-oil but now I'm a big fan of shellac.  Tru-oil is great but its so sloooooow.  Shellac only takes a day....no solvent stink, same materials as tru-oil,  no half bottle of finish leftover going bad on the shelf. 
Satin, gloss, thin and open pore, or glass like level....Any style you like
French polish is much easier than it seems.  Just get a pad and do it!!

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 1:42pm

There has been a lot of talk lately regarding finishing product on several guitar forums. Target coatings has a relative new product called EM6000 Production Lacquer. It is a water based finish that is clear, dries pretty fast, is harder then Tru-oil and Shellac. Maybe the most exciting qualities are that it can be sprayed or brushed and the coats really burn in and the product is pretty self-leveling. The builders who have tried it seem to rave about its ease of use and a quality finish. It comes in flat, semi-gloss, and gloss. I just ordered a gallon because its’ on sale and was only twice the quart size. What’s also nice is that there is no sign of the blue tint that could appear on previous water based finishes. Maybe even better is the finish is more environmental and human friendly.  Below is a link to Target Coatings. If you do some searches you will find some information from those who have used it. There is also a link to the OLF where there are a couple of strings regarding the em6000.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/catalog/EMTECH_6000_Production_Lacquer-32-1.h...

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=20862&hilit=6000

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=21547&p=299116&hilit=...

Philip

IP Logged

Coping

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2009 at 3:25pm

Polycrylic.
Quick and easy.
Gloss or satin.

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 4:06am

In the 5 months sense I initially asked about finishes, I have tried many products.
I have found one that I really like a lot. It is "Polyurethane Satin Gel" sold by Rockler.
These are the things I like about it:
It is wiped on, like TruOil, and, because it is a gel, it is easy to control.
It does not darken, or change the color of the wood as much as Liberman's or TruOil.
It can be wiped/rubbed until it is dry, giving a nice streak free, satin look.
It does a good job of filling the wood grain.
Ok... If you are still reading this, I will describe that I did that resulted in the finish that I was hoping for..
I applied numerous coats of this gel. One coat per day.
Before the last coat, I VERY lightly sanded with 400 grit.
Then, after the last coat, I rubbed lightly with 0000 steel wool, which gave sort of hazy look. After that I rub it with microfiber cloth. That really burnishes the hazy steel wool finish to a super smooth satin finish.
So, anyway, I just had to share that with you all because I am so happy with the results.

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:13am

mblue:
How many coats did you use?
With truoil it takes most of a month to apply the finish.

Bob

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us