HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I remove the back from a ukulele? (Read 8470 times)
Zippyzingo

Ukulele Lover!

Re: How do I remove the back from a ukulele?
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 7:19am

Morning Bob.
I don't know if you are talking about carving a back or removing a back.

Removing it isn't really any different than what you did to your Uke. The back is curved in an arch but the edges are flat to the rim so the seam is glued flat to the lining. In fact, this part is easier than building most modern guitars because there is no bevel to the edges of the rim and the lining. The joint is flat.

If you are talking about carving a back, I must say it's not as easy as thinning a flat back but it's doable with patience and the right tools. A lot depends on the material too. Maple is favored for it's resonance BUT it's a lot harder to carve than the spruce used for the top. You also must be more aware of graduating the thickness of the top as you move away from center to the edges.  Actually, I have found that  there is something really satisfying about the carving process. It does mean that it can take a long time to build an instrument.

Actually, the repair I need to make on this mandolin is a cross grain crack in the face, under the tailpiece. (it was dropped.... by someone else. ) I haven't decided if I want to pull the top to make the repair or pull the back and leave the top attached to the ribs.   I'm leaning towards pulling the back so I don't have to fool with the fingerboard but the back and side grain match up beautifully so I keep dragging my feet.

ZZ

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: How do I remove the back from a ukulele?
Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 4:09pm

ZZ:
The mandolin repair that is required is regluing a brace under the soundboard. When the strings are tightened, the bridge sinks. When I eventually repair all three pineapple ukes I might have the confidence to try the mandolin.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us