HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to use for headstock veneer? (Read 2302 times)
Dustartist

Ukulele Lover!

What to use for headstock veneer?
Apr 4th, 2009 at 7:31am

Aloha, everyone.  I just received my first Hana Lima 'Ia tenor kit in the mail, and I'm impressed with the quality.  I just finished a Stew-Mac soprano uke kit, and it came out pretty nice.  Now I think I'm ready for something a little more challenging.  Looks like there are two sets of plans, kasha and fan-braced, included.  I already have a question, of course, probably the first of many.  Is there enough material included in the kit to make a headstock veneer?  If not, what are people using?  

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Re: What to use for headstock veneer?
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 9:31am

There are a lot of solutions for peghead veneer.  One of the simplest is to take the two pieces that will be left over from the back on either side of the upper bout and using the straight edges bookmatch them to make a single piece that can be used for the peghead veneer.  You want material that is about 1/8 inch thick so there is enough thickness to hold the nut in place.

You can find a lot of veneers at guitar supply houses. Or... you can find a nice piece of wood that you think would add to the beauty of your uke and resaw it down to a thin slab.  The peghead is where you get to put your own personal touch into the instrument.  Don't be afraid to change the peghead plan, especially at the top of the peghead.

P.S. Remember to cut the peghead veneer at a 15 degree angle off square where it touches the nut (assuming your peghead angle is 15 degrees).

Don

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 2:55pm

I would go along with Don on thickness in particular. I use figured veneer at forty thou thick and I have to put a double layer for three quarters of an inch and sand the trailing edge down smooth. The figured veneer is pretty.

Make your nut-slot a tad narrow so that you can sand it to a tight fit.

Bob

IP Logged

Dustartist

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:34am

Thanks for the replies.  It looks like I'll have enough material from the back and the soundboard for headstock veneer.  Spruce top, bubinga back.  I think the bubinga might look pretty sharp.

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 2:10pm

Dustartist:

It does.  That's what I used my my tenor build with bubinga back and sides -- also with spruce top.

Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us