HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kasha Baritone bracing (Read 3400 times)
unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Kasha Baritone bracing
Apr 26th, 2009 at 1:22pm

I am just starting a Kasha-baritone ukulele anwas looking for the thickness/width of wood used for the bracing ribs. Are the ribs tapered vertically and are they tapered horizontally?

Any experience or opinions would be appreciated.

Bob

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Re: Kasha Baritone bracing
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 4:25pm

Hi Bob,

The tone bars are definately tapered horizontally, and I'm pretty sure they are tapered vertically too. Some the of treble confinement bars are not tapered.

Regards,

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 6:10am

Thanks Matt.
The material seems so thin that I will have to organize how I should approach it. I have soundboard-excess at 0.17" (4.3 mm) which might work out as a starting point. The plans don't call up the thickness (width ) of the tone-bars.

Bob

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 8:27pm

aloha bob, here's a tip for tone bar bracings for kasha builders. Just remember all bars are graduated in height from right to left as veiwed from inside the soundboard..bass side highest to shorter treble side bars. Also note that the distance from the high point of each bar also graduates across from bass bars to trebles. Lastly the distance that you move the tone bars over the perimeter rim of the bell shaped bridge patch can be adjusted to your liking....closer to the horizontal transverse bars the quicker the sound response, the farther away from the perimeter rim the better the sustain. Brace bars can be thin and high versus thick and low. Actually if you weighed all the kasha bars pre-shaped prior to glue-up, including transverse waist bar..they should weigh less than your standard tri bar fan braces with the two enharmonic soundhole brace bars.

hope this makes sense...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Thanks Ukeman:
I think that I will have to start carving braces before I can come up with a follow-up question.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us