HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compensation and String Length (Read 1397 times)
Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Compensation and String Length
May 12th, 2009 at 5:49pm

Ok, I know there has been plenty of discussion throughout various topics regarding compensation of the bridge/saddle to get correct intonation. Bill, I hope this will help you out.

It would be good if everyone could share their experiences regarding this issue, all in one place. I'm talking both high and low g tunings, soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone. In the past, I have made a summary of what I consider reliable observations that other people have documented. I have used this as a guideline, and recently I have also made a jig and done some testing myself.

Data set 1: (from http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/compensate.html):

Soprano for correct intonation with savarez alliance strings
A string     171.5 mm for nut to 12th fret, 173.5 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
E string     171.5 mm for nut to 12th fret, 174.2 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
C string     171.5 mm for nut to 12th fret, 177.8 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
G string     171.5 mm for nut to 12th fret, 174.2 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak

Concert for correct intonation with savarez alliance strings
A string     187.7 mm for nut to 12th fret, 189.7 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
E string     187.7 mm for nut to 12th fret, 189.5 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
C string     187.7 mm for nut to 12th fret, 192.5 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
G string     187.7 mm for nut to 12th fret, 189.7 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak

Tenor for correct intonation with savarez alliance strings
A string     215.9 mm for nut to 12th fret, 216.7 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
E string     215.9 mm for nut to 12th fret, 217.9 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
C string     215.9 mm for nut to 12th fret, 220.0 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak
G string     215.9 mm for nut to 12th fret, 217.2 mm from 12 fret to saddle peak

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Re: Compensation and String Length
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2009 at 6:12pm

Data set 2: (Mike Chock recommendations from a previous post (I think I have interpreted correctly))
Tenor scale for low G tuning:
A string 434.2 mm (nut face to saddle peak)
Low G string 437.4 mm (nut face to saddle peak)
this giveas a slanting saddle.

My own measurements:

Tenor with Hilo strings (high G tuning):
all strings (G,C,E,A) have length 433.75 mm (nut face to saddle peak) and all have good intonation

Tenor with Aquila strings for reasonable compensation:
A string: 434 mm (nut face to saddle peak)
E string: 434 mm (nut face to saddle peak)
C string: 434 mm (nut face to saddle peak)
high G string: 433.75 mm (nut face to saddle peak)
low G string: 434 mm (nut face to saddle peak)

My measurements suggest that a slanting saddle slot is not required for aquila strings and low g tuning. I know there are other people who have found the same thing, so it would be good if they could write up there results here as well.

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us