HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some problems getting curved back right... (Read 2593 times)
mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Some problems getting curved back right...
Jun 13th, 2009 at 10:19am

I cut the sides according to The Manual. Then, after installing tentalones, and before gluing the back on, I sand the back surface of the sides,trying to maintain the taper. I have found that, by the time I have the edge of the sides and tentalones cleaned up, and flush with each other, I have apparently ended up with a compound curve. In other words, not just curved front to back, but also side to side. So, the back will bend front to back, but with the bracing, it will not bend at all to make up for my sanding screwup. It was the fact that I could not get the back to clamp down to the sides that made me realize what I had done wrong while sanding..
Of course, the front is no problem, because it is flat. I just glue 4 pieces of 120 grit to a flat surface, and slide the front of the body across that and I get a very flat surface..
I am thinking that I need the same kind of thing for the back, except curved. Then slide the body across this curved sanding board until it fits the curve...
Anywayyyyy...Does anyone have any good ways of sanding the back of the body that maintains the proper curve?

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Some problems getting curved back right...
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 6:25am

mblue:
I may not understand the problem but if the sides won't clamp down properly, it sounds to me like the back braces are hanging up on something. The only thing is the kerfing or the sides. Check out page 83 in the book. It should show up while dry-fitting the back.

To answer your last question, I use 80 grit on a board (2"X24") so I can taper forward or back or level across. Be careful that you don't knock some of the kerfing blocks off.

At this point you do not want to mess up.

Bob
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2009 at 10:08am by unkabob »  

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 8:49am

Thanks Bob,, I really did not word that question very clearly...I am pretty sure that the braces were not hitting the sides. After doing some searching about back curves and shapes I have a new question.. I'm going to put it in a new post, and try to word it clearly.

IP Logged

sweetgum

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 5:11pm

not sure if you are trying to get a compound curve?  i guess thats the idea anyway.  I've made four ukes with flat(ish) tops and backs, and am now putting the compound curve into both the back and top(lower bout only). the key to the sanding i think is the dished work board with 60 grit stuck to it.

If this is the process you are looking for, I found a video on youtube to make a "long compass". cant remember the guy's name, but i copied the idea, took about four hours to work it out. I now have eight dished boards.  if you want i can try posting some pictures...

-jason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us