HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bubinga discoloration (Read 3084 times)
Dustartist

Ukulele Lover!

Bubinga discoloration
Nov 5th, 2009 at 5:29am

I bent my bubinga sides, after cracking one of the first set (probably too thick).  They bent fine this time, but now are much browner than before.  The back is, of course, still the same reddish color.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Bubinga discoloration
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 9:10am

Dustartist,

It could just be from the heat and moisture. Try sanding the sides and see if the color will come back. I am currently working with some bubinga that has been sitting around for a while on an unfinished guitar and have come across some that has darkened. In my case the sanding brought the colors out a bit more and more importantly evened out the color.

Best of Luck

Philip

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 6:38am

Philip:
I don't wish to highjack the thread but is there a stain or dye to enrich the colour of Indian rosewood? I am looking at grade #2 Indian rosewood that wants more colour. I have not started doing test pieces yet so I am not sure how big a problem this will be.

I expect to use Danish oil for grain and Truoil for finish.

Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 8:04am

Bob,

Not a problem! We are all here to share information so we can all learn.

That being said, I don't have an answer for you but do have a suggestion. I would post the same question on the Official Luthiers Forum because they handle a lot more IRW than us ukulele builders do. You will receive an expert answer there. Be sure to post the results here so others can follow along.

By the way, check out the 3 part tutorial on deflection testing by David Hurd on the OLF site. Smiley

http://www.luthiersforum.com/

Philip

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2009 at 3:25pm

Philip:
The link was to a great site. No ukulele stuff but some neat ideas. I saw tutorials on making and installing wood tuner knobs.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us