HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing Acoustic Pickups (Read 1366 times)
Jeff B
Junior Uke

Aloha!

Amelia, OH (near Cincinnati)
Installing Acoustic Pickups
Nov 13th, 2009 at 4:57am

I'm working on a tenor uke project and decided to electrify it. Following the example of Owen Holt at Road Toad, I got a K&K Sound Twin-Spot pickup and their little PrePhase preamp. The preamp has a little volume control and a tiny switch that allows you to adjust the phase and avoid feedback. It peeks out of the soundhole. Installed very nicely (though I had to shorten and resolder/reshield all the lead wires). I used an Irwin 1/2" step drill to make the 1/2" hole needed for the switch jack in the heel - this kept any tear-out in the sapele sides to nil. The pickups were superglued to the bridge plate, everything else is held inside with velcro.

I plugged it into my Peavey Transitube 35W amp with the volume and gain both on 3 (out of 10). Then I tapped the soundboard. It about blew me out of the room! After turning the volume WAY down, the quality of the sound is exceptional. I later installed the back on the uke and retested - it sounds even better!

See pics of the installation on my website (http://jwbosworthguitars.com), about 3/4 of the way down the page. I highly recommend K&K.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us