Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
resawing blues (Read 7434 times)
mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

resawing blues
Dec 13th, 2009 at 2:05pm

I just tried resawing a 1" by 6" piece of Koa. I made a 6 inch tall fence for my band saw, and slowly fed the board through.. I didn't go well. The board kept creeping away from the fence at the bottom, where I couldn't see it, so then it started binding...
Anyway, I ruined a lot of it. Out of the 6 foot long piece, I maybe got 2 decent book match sets. And, it is going to take a lot of thickness sanding, because the surfaces are sooo rough.
Does anyone have any tricks or techniques to make resawing go more smoothly?

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: resawing blues
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:43pm

mblue:
Check out the website for Suffolk Machinery. They sell timberwolf blades.
They have a procedure for setting up your fence on the correct angle. Follow their whole setup procedure and you will find that resawing is much better.

They say that every blade has an angle that it cuts straight at and you have to find that angle and it will hold true for that blade.

Bob

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 9:48am

The Suffolk blade that I swear by is the:

3/4" x 2-3VARI PC .025

No problem with 5" koa or bubinga with a very thin kerf.

Drift adjustable fence is key...I don't understand why this isn't standard on every new bandsaw. 

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:22pm

I totally agree.  The Suffolk blade is called the Timberwolf.  A good way to check the drift angle is to watch the back edge of the blade and make sure that it is running in the center of the saw cut.  The correct tension on the blade is also important.

One last suggestion, practice practice practice on scrap wood until you feel totally comfortable with resawing and only then go to your good wood.  Don't just practice on pine boards, you should also try some scrap hardwood to see how it reacts to resawing.

Its nice to see some new activity on this board.  Keep the questions coming.

Don

IP Logged

mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 2:14pm

I got a bit distracted by life soon after I posted this question (almost 3 years ago)..
Everything has settled down so I am back in my little woodshop!
Anyway... I just looked at the suffolkmachinery.com website and tryed to locate the "3/4" x 2-3VARI PC .025" blade, and the closest one that I find says that it is for cutting metal.
Is there a part/item number for this blade, that might help me locate it?
Thanks everyone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us