HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kasha concert sound hole (Read 2153 times)
PM

Ukulele Lover!

Kasha concert sound hole
Jan 29th, 2010 at 3:40am

I am building a Hana Lima style Kasha concert uku, and I have a question about the sound hole and it's patch.
The plan shows a general location of a patch that includes the areas needed for both spanish neck and tentalones to glue directly to the top. 
1.  I would make the patch exclude these areas with a bit  of space to avoid a rattle.  Will  this be enough support for this flattop? 
2. If I decide to place the sound hole on the side, can I leave the top patch off entirely; or is some extra support required in that area because of the lack of cross bracing?

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Kasha concert sound hole
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 9:07am

PM:
If you move the soundhole to the side, I don't think that you would need the patch on the top.

Rememeber that the grain of the patch should run at ninety degrees to the grain of the base wood. one of the reasons for the patch is to avoid splitting from the exposed end grain .

Bob

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Re: Kasha concert sound hole
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 4:22pm

Hi PM,

I agree with Bob, if you are not puting a hole in the soundboard it doesn't need to be stiffened in this area.

If you are puting a hole and patch, I would leave a small gap between the patch and the neck block and side tentelones. You can also make the hole in the patch slightly larger than that through the soundboard, and then when you look at the uke from the outside, it won't look like a laminated top.

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us