HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddle slot on Hana Lima plan (Read 3850 times)
Dustartist

Ukulele Lover!

Saddle slot on Hana Lima plan
Mar 21st, 2010 at 11:13am

I see on the Hana Lima tenor plan that the saddle slot is not straight, but is slanted, and that the measurements to the centerline of the slot in the plan view and the section view of the bridge do not agree.  It has yet another measurement in the book.  Has anyone else noticed this?  What has your solution been?

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Saddle slot on Hana Lima plan
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 5:16pm

Dustartist:
Are those measurements printed numbers or your measurements from the drawings?
My drawings are fairly old but none of mine have a slanted saddle. If you are measuring scale length,I believe, it should be measured to the fronf edge of the saddle where the string touches.

Maybe Asa is the right person to answer this.

Bob Cool

IP Logged

Dustartist

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 2:59pm

They are measurements from the drawings.  I have a 2008 revision.  Mine show the saddle at an angle, like you would see on a guitar.  The saddle slants the other way as it is shown on the drawing of the top, maybe because it is supposed to be from inside, to show the bracing pattern.  I'm not sure what I am going to do..

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 5:40pm

Dustartist:
Relax!
I have the November 2004 copy of the book and the plans dated 8/04. I see the compensated saddle on the drawing with no measurements on compensation. If you must have a compensated saddle, you can go to Stewart- Macdonald website and use their fret calculator to establish the scale-length for the two outside strings. If this is your first build, this may just get you more confused (every fret calculator will give you a slightly different measurement).

I have built five ukuleles (four tenors and a baritone) and all my tenors used a straight saddle at the measurement in the book (page 107) 17 3/32 from the nut-face to the front of the saddle slot.
Stick with the book and it will sound good.

My Kasha baritone saddle is slightly slanted and sounds sooo good. It also fits my hands better.

Take a look at the bridges in the Hana Lima Store and you will find that most of then use the straight slot.

Stick with the book.

Bob Cool

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 9:17am

I believe it is the string selection that will dictate if the saddle is straight or slanted. If using standard stings (High G) then a straight saddle is used. If you will build with a Low G string set then the saddle will need to be slanted.

Philip

IP Logged

Quine

Any Uke Builders in St
Louis??

St Louis, MO
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 8:34am

The Low G style needs the slanted saddle for the extra compensation.  High G can use straight saddles
I use the calculator from Stew Mac and it comes out perfect for High-G

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:11am

Dustartist wrote on Mar 22nd, 2010 at 2:59pm:
The saddle slants the other way as it is shown on the drawing of the top, maybe because it is supposed to be from inside, to show the bracing pattern.  I'm not sure what I am going to do..

Yes, the soundboard view is from the inside...(bridge is on the other side).  From this view the bridge is hidden but shown in dotted line. 

The slanted saddle slot is for Low-G tuning.  For standard High-G (My Dog Has Fleas) tuning, use straight slot. 

Please read Chapter 8 (pg 98) in your manual.

Happy building  Wink

P.S. On 2009 plan I switched it back to straight saddle slot just to avoid extra confusion.  The compensated Low-G saddle slot is shown on the side.

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us