Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jig Advice? (Read 2989 times)
Drew Fowler

Ukulele Fan

Jig Advice?
Jul 18th, 2010 at 6:16pm

Hey folks,

I'm working on building a Hana Lima kit and it's blast. I'm at the point where I will be cutting the slots in the neck. The book talks about using a jig to obtain a three degree angle. Would anyone have some advice for me on how I would want to make this jig. I have access to a radial arm saw and a table saw, and either would be good. I'm just not sure how I would build this jig.

Another question I have relates to the shape they show in the book for reducing the weight of the heel block. Is that just a shape made from the plan that get's the heel block to the rough size it will be? The picture shown looks like it would remove most of the bottom block of the heel.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can supply.

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Jig Advice?
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 3:05am

Drew:

The best way I have found to get that angle is to set the blade on the table saw at 3 degrees.  I use a Wixey Digital Angle Gauge and place it on the saw table and zero it out.  The gauge has magnets to attach it to the blade and you can adjust it to read 87 degrees.  I use a sled to keep the neck square to the blade.  This same process would work just as well on the radial arm saw.

The bottom foot is shorter than the top.  The top is supporting the fingerboard and the extra length is not needed on the bottom.

Have fun and enjoy your build.

Don

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:15am

Drew:

One more thing.  Use a thin kerf blade so it will fit the thickness of your sides better when they are slipped into the slot.  A standard 1/8 inch kerf will mean that you will have to add thicker shims to get thje sides tight.

Don

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 10:20am

Yep, what Don said is a good alternative.  Use a cross-cut sled on your table saw.  Make sure to test the cut depth on some scrap.

The jig we are using in the book is just 3 pieces of plywood boxed up with butt joints.  Instead of making the bottom flat, it is slightly raised on one side to make the 3 degree angle.

You have the right idea about the heel and head block.  Most of the 3rd block will be removed.  You want to end up with a heel height that will match your sides.  Or you could make it a tad taller if you want to skip the Heel Cap...check photos on page 95 to see what I mean.

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Drew Fowler

Ukulele Fan

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 7:28pm

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I think this week I'll give it a go.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us