HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bracing? (Read 6881 times)
Doc Waddel

Ukulele Fan

Bracing?
Aug 1st, 2010 at 7:31pm

I've made three Ukes... First full carbon fiber tenor, second carbon fiber body/neck/head with spruce top, third carbon fiber banjolele.
I'm now working on a set... soprano, concert, tenor that are all carbon fiber with wood tops.
I have the body/neck/head set, no problem.  I'm focusing on the tops.  The second Uke with the spruce top sounds ok but I didn't know to thin/tune the top!? Sad  I"m sure it would sound MUCH better if I had at least thinned it down.

So... Question 1... now I'm searching and I read about Kasha bracing, x-bracing, lattice bracing.  any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
And then I'm reading 'Acoustics of Violin and Guitar' (question 2) and their talking about nodes and antinodes so I'm thinking that the braces should really be placed at the nodes????  So would that be a new or different type of bracing?
Help!  Bring some harmony to my confusion!  I want to make a bright clear sounding uke!
Les

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Re: Bracing?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 3:23pm

Hello Doc,

Good to hear from you and welcome.  I see you are ready to dive into the murky depths of sound theory.  For this I would highly recommend Kawika Hurd's book: "Left-Brain Lutherie" 

Mr. Hurd is an established luthier with a background in engineering.

From Kawika's description: "This book is about trying to understand more about physics and engineering concepts as they are actually applied to instrument building.  If you have already built several instruments and want more consistency, better mechanical stability and a deeper understanding of the effects of string load on your instrument (and many other subjects as well), this is the book for you."

Check out the table of contents and how to order here:  http://www.ukuleles.com/LBLBook/TOC.html

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Doc Waddel

Ukulele Fan

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:03am

Yes, I've been on his web site quite a bit.  I've read bits and pieces of his experiments.  He gets a bit deep into the science of it all.  I want to learn but I tend to shy away from a lot of math!  Ha!  I guess I better jump into it, hey?
I do have Benetto's Archtop book that I pick bits of info from  occasionally.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Les

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 6:21am

Doc:
Kawika has posted a fair amount, mostly on spruce stiffness testing, on the OLF board. look in the archives.

Bob Wink

IP Logged

Beth M

Ukulele Fan

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 6:52am

Another good resource is "The Art of Tap Tuning" by Roger H Siminoff.  I got a lot out of that, and it's a pretty easy read considering the science behind it.

IP Logged

Doc Waddel

Ukulele Fan

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 7:05pm

Hey Unkabob... OLF Board?  Where do I find this? (edit...)  Thanks Unk!  I got it... Official Luthiers Forum!  Now to find bracing info.

Beth!  Thanks for the suggestion.  So far I have, and only read parts of, Making an Archtop Guitar by Benedetto and Left Brain Luterie (Yes I bought it after the suggestion here!)
Les
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2010 at 6:59pm by Doc Waddel »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us