HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need help with soundhole in Kasha tenor plans (Read 4530 times)
stewpot1

Ukulele Fan

need help with soundhole in Kasha tenor plans
Aug 14th, 2010 at 1:41pm

Hi,
The Kash Tenor plans show 2 ovel shapes as the soundhole. Are these the 2 holes, one for the soundboad and (big) one for the patch?

Thanks in advance,
  Stewpot1

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: need help with soundhole in Kasha tenor plans
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 1:27pm

Stewpot:
You got it.
make sure that the grain on the backing runs cross-grain to the soundboard. This will tend to stop cracks from starting in the end-grain at the sound-hole and running down the straight grain of the soundboard.

If you decide to add a sound-port, add the cross-grain backing for the same reason.

Bob

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:42am

Stewpot:

Kathy Matsushita has been building a baritone ukulele from the Hana Lima plans this summer and documenting the build with really cool journal entries.  She uses a bolt on neck instead of a spanish heel but otherwise this journal should help you a lot.  Here is the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushita/moreprojects/htmlpages/bar1.html

Enjoy.

Also, if you haven't already bought the Hana Lima construction manual it is a great book to have even though you are building a kasha tenor.

Don

IP Logged

stewpot1

Ukulele Fan

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:34am

Thanks Bob and Don.

Don, i've bought the manual and it has been a great help, but as you know it builds a more standard Uke not Kasha style.
There is a bit more thinking involved with the oval shape of the Kasha soundhole, and it's quite cramped in the top corner!

Regards,
Stewpot

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:46pm

Stewpot:

Glad you've got the manual.  Mike and Asa spent a lot of time on it and it is about the best ukulele reference out there -- change that, it is the best!

Asa, if you see this post, you were working on a revised manual for a kasha ukulele a while back.  DID IT EVER GET FINISHED?

Kathy struggled with the same thoughts you have on the oval or round sound holes and placement.  Read that section of her journal and it may help guide your decision.

Don

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 4:28pm

If the ellipse is a problem, photo copy it, glue it on cardboard and cut out a patern.
The other approach is to calculate the area and use a round hole with the same area. It doesn't look as neat but it will do the job.
When I was cutting mine out with a hole-saw, the saw grabbed and gouged the soundboard in two places. After I sanded the gouges smooth, I liked the weird shape and left it. I think that it looks neat.

Ukuleles should be fun.

Bob Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us