HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kasha baritone bridge placement? (Read 3840 times)
kmatsu

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Kasha baritone bridge placement?
Sep 11th, 2010 at 2:39pm

I'm finishing up a Kasha baritone uke from the Hanalima plans.  I'm a bit confused about exactly how to locate the bridge (slanted saddle).  It's a 20-1/8" scale.

On the Hanalima plans, the distance from the nut to the center of the saddle (in the middle of the slanted saddle) is 20-1/8".  There are no measurements given on the plan for the distances from the nut to the center of the saddle at the 1st & 4th strings.

When I used Stew-Mac's fret calculator for a 20-1/8" ukulele scale, it says the center of the saddle (straight saddle, though) is 20-1/4".

My question is, why the two different measurements? 

Kathy

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Kasha baritone bridge placement?
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 5:05pm

Kathy:
This is my best guess, if you use the Stewmac calculator for a twenty inch scale length it will give a string length of 20.118". I doubt that many builders can reliably place the saddle slot within seven thou without special scales or measuring devices or jigs.

Asa may have a better explanation.

Bob Cool

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:14am

Hi Kathy,

The Stew-Mac calculator is adding an extra 1/8" for
compensation.  They include compensation in the scale length for string stretch.  This is different from the compensation in the slanted saddle for Low-G tuning.

The length of string changes just a bit when it is 'open' and then pressed down to the fret (closed).  This change in length is not always the same.  It depends on the height of your strings over the frets and even the gauge (thickness) of the strings.

The added compensation shown on the stewmac calculator is an average number to work with.

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 1:19pm

I noticed the Stew-mac calculator also gives a "Bridge Placement for 20.125" scale Ukulele" as 20.24 inches with non-compensated bridge. 

In the next sentence it says: "Please note that these measurements are based on a mathmatical formula for compensation as well as an average of what "plays in tune" for a variety of instruments."

This is confusing because it is refering to two different types of compensation.  Bridge compensation which is the angle of the saddle slot for a Low-G tuning.  And Scale compensation which is added to a scale length to accommodate string stretch. 

So when they refer to a non-compensated bridge this is a straight across High-G tuning saddle slot.  If you are using a compensated Low-G bridge measure from the center of the saddle when adding scale compensation. 

Two different compensations  Cheesy

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

kmatsu

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 4:28pm

The mystery is solved!!!!

It turned out that, because of my misunderstanding the Hanalima plan drawing of the Kasha bridge, I got confused, primarily because I guess I didn't really know what "low-G" meant. What confused me was that, on the plan, it says "low-G string setup" (pointing to the slanted saddle), yet it has the strings marked "D-G-B-E". (So I guess I thought "low-G" meant that the G-string is lower than the B, as opposed to the traditional G being higher than the 3rd string.) I didn’t know that “low-G” just means when you tune the baritone to lowG-C-E-A. I feel stupid (as I often do). Ah, well….it’s always good to keep learning…

Anyway, I want to tune the baritone to D-G-B-E, but I mistakenly had bought a low-G Kasha bridge (thus, the slanted saddle). However, what I needed was the "High-G" Kasha bridge (straight saddle)!! So...I'll be getting one shortly....and the build will continue on...

The one who clarified all this for me was Asa. So….he told me that, yes, the Hanalima plans are a little confusing in that illustration, so he understood my confusion. Anyway, he said that the compensation should be somewhere in the range of .088” to .148”, depending on string height, thickness, etc…..

I feel better now.

Thanks, Bob and Asa, for your help!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us