Send Topic Print
Gluing Jewels (Read 2534 times)
Jeff B
Junior Uke

Aloha!

Amelia, OH (near Cincinnati)
Gluing Jewels
Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:17am

I'm building a 5-string semi-hollow body bass ukulele for a client on Kauai. The client continuously adds "little" embelishments to the original design - I call it "feature creep" since I experienced that during my software development career.

A few weeks ago I received an envelope from a jeweler in NYC on behalf of my client. Inside were about 10 or so round diamond cut rubies. The client informed me that he wants these placed in the bass side of the fretboard where I'd normally put paua dots to mark the fret positions.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to attach these gems so that they'll never come out? I'm going to drill small holes and insert them so the top of the ruby is slightly raised from the surface. I am contemplating using hide glue but maybe that won't be good enough since I assume the ruby's surface is quite smooth. So, epoxy? Titebond? Spit? Wink

Thanks,
Jeff
http://jwbosworthguitars.com

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Gluing Jewels
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 5:37am

Jeff

Make a trip to the best jewelry store in your area and ask them what would be the best way to mount the stones.  Talk to one of their best people not just a sales clerk.  They are the experts on mounting these items while you are the expert on musical instruments.  You don't want your client upset by the stones falling out and being lost.

Don

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Gluing Jewels
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 8:57am

Jeff,

Do what Don suggested! You can also search for jewelers glue and see what hits you get. Of course, you will need to delve through the results for accurate information.

Although I havenít used it there is glue that had been recommended during a jewelry class I attended. The name is E6000. I believe the class supply list said it would glue to stones, metal, and wood. You will need to test it and see if you can put a finish on it. Otherwise, you might need to use a super glue to attach the stones. I know you can finish over super glue. If you test the E6000 and it wonít take a finish then try putting a coat of shellac over the glue before the finish. Shellac will stick to almost anything and I think any finish can go over shellac. Of course if these stones are added after finish they just need to stick.

Philip

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us