HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soundhole patch or bracing (Read 2287 times)
Beth M

Ukulele Fan

Soundhole patch or bracing
Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:46pm

The HL plans for tenor call for a soundhole patch.  I was going to forgo this in favor of some lighter bracing (like I use on the acoustic guitar top), but then I over-thinned the top.  Lips Sealed Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to use the top.  One option I considered is just to put in a soundhole patch as I think the bracing will support this soundboard (koa - already at 0.06 and rosette is installed but rosette needs routing for abalone ring).
Another option I thought of is a double top, which is becoming all the rage in certain guitar luthiery circles.  However, I know nothing about doing this, or if it would work on a small surface like a uke top. 
I welcome ideas and suggestions.  For those of you that use a soundhole patch, what wood species do you use.  i don't have suitable spruce for that, but do have enough koa cutoffs to fashion one.  Also, I assume like the cross-braces that the grain on the patch should run perpendicular to the top grain when glued on.
Thanks, Beth

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Soundhole patch or bracing
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:56am

Beth:
0.060 is getting rather thin. I have built a Hana Lima tenor with mahogany top at 0.074 and it is holding up well.
On ukuleles, I prefer to use veneer for the sound-hole patch, most people consider this too thin. The patch is to stop cracks from starting in the exposed endgrain.

Mike's preference for bracing would likely apply to the soundhole patch,mahogany to mahogany or spruce to spruce. The expansion with humidity changes will be similar but gets complicated with-the-grain versus crossgrain expansion.

A double top on a ukulele seems like more trouble than its worth. See Robbie Obrien"s video on double tops on youtube.

Not much help but a start.

Bob

IP Logged

Quine

Any Uke Builders in St
Louis??

St Louis, MO
Re: Soundhole patch or bracing
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:23am

I think you'll need a sound hole patch if you plan to install abalone.  The abalone is usually 0.050 thick and you don't wand to sand it much...you might remove the pretty color layer.  You might find you rout through the top in places  Undecided
I've used mahogany for my sound hole patches.  I used what a cut off the headstock part of the neck.  Perpendicular grain to the sound board.
0.06 is pretty thin for a top.  Depends on how stiff the koa is though.  You might want to enlarge the bridge patch too if the top is too floppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us