HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soprano questions - binding height, top thickness (Read 3860 times)
Mike C

Ukulele Fan

Soprano questions - binding height, top thickness
Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:18am

After a couple tenors, I'm starting a soprano.

1) I have some 1/4 high guitar binding (I'm going to try to bend maple or maybe just plastic).  Is soprano binding usually 1/4 high, or shall I cut it down?

2) I have both old Martin and Hana Lima plans.  The Martin top thickness (Mahogany) says .09" and HL says .06".  What are pros & cons?  I may try one of each...

Thanks - Mike

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Soprano questions - binding height, top thickness
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 4:30pm

Mike:
My best guess is to go with the plans that you are using.
Ninety thou sounds thick for an ukulele particularly a small one. I have only built tenors and baritones using Hana Lima plans and I usually end up with soundboard thickness in the 75 to 80 thou range. Sixty thou sounds reasonable for a soprano.

IP Logged

Quine

Any Uke Builders in St
Louis??

St Louis, MO
Re: Soprano questions - binding height, top thickness
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 1:35pm

The binding height is really up to what you think looks good.  I'd probably go 3/16 or so for a soprano, depending on the wood/binding combo.  Up to you though
For the top thickness....I agree with Mike.  0.075 should do fine.  I get nervous below that incase you have a scratch or dent to sand out before finishing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us