HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fretboard Raduis (Read 2874 times)
Heidi

Ukulele Lover!

Fretboard Raduis
Dec 28th, 2010 at 12:48pm

I read through some of the old post regarding a raduised fretboard and there were some conflicts. I was wondering if we can have another conversation about a raduised fretboard. There were a couple suggestions on a 20" and also others. What would be best for a ukulele? Does the nut and saddle then need to be raduised as well? Are there other setup issues that will need to be addressed?

Thanks in advance
Heidi

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Fretboard Raduis
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 10:07pm

Heide,

I have not built a ukulele with a radiused fretboard yet just a guitar. However, my next two ukulele builds will be kasha tenors made of Palo Escrito Rosewood and will include a 20 degree radius. You have already guessed your answer.  You will need to radius the nut, fretboard, and the saddle so the string maintains the correct relationship to the fretboard. Iím planning on using 20 degree because it feels natural to my hand. It is not much of a radius but you can tell itís not flat. I havenít decided yet if I will dome both the back and soundboard. After building the guitar I know I can do it but there is a bit more work.

Take care,

Philip

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 4:54pm

Konacat:
I have built a couple of tenors with twelve inch radius and they have worked out not-bad. I chose this radius because I have a section of 24" dia. pipe to use as a sanding block. I used a zero fret and radiused saddle.

Remember to have a radiused caul to hold the frets in place while the glue dries and to pre-radius the frets before installation.

Bob Cool

IP Logged

Heidi

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 8:19pm

Thanks for the info, this really helps!
Heidi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us