HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bracing and tone bar stiffness (Read 2121 times)
mblue
Junior Uke

Ukulele Lover!

bracing and tone bar stiffness
Jan 20th, 2011 at 10:23am

I am wondering about the possible differences in function between bracing bars and tone bars.
I am assuming that bracing should be as stiff as possible to give a lot of stiffness to the back, and near the sound hole.
However, is this also the case for tone bars?
Don't we want the sound board to vibrate and amplify the movement of the strings at the bridge?
If that is the case, it seems that extremely stiff tone bars would inhibit that vibration.
Maybe tone bars should be thinner and somewhat flexible.
I don't have a clue, I am just guessing about all of this.
Does anyone have any info or thoughts about this? Thanks...

IP Logged

sailor tim

Ukulele Fan

Re: bracing and tone bar stiffness
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 6:59pm

there are to many variables in your question.  It really depends on the wood you are using, and not just the species but the actual piece you have.  I use Claro Walnut in my first 2 ukes, i thinned both soundboards to 1.5 mm, 1 was stiff and had a nice ring when tapped but the other was dull sounding.  I actually bullked my tone bars up which caused my soundboard to stiffen a little and got a good tap tone back.  I am no expert, just a beginner but that is what my experiment showed!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us