HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Assembly Jig Work Board (Read 8711 times)
mcramer

Ukulele Fan

Marion, NY
Assembly Jig Work Board
Mar 19th, 2011 at 1:57pm

Looking for plans for an "assembly jig work board and Go bar deck.......starting to build my new Hana Lima 'Ia concert ukulele

thanks Mike

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Assembly Jig Work Board
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 3:43pm

Mike:

The best guide for building and assembly jigs is the Hana Lima book if you are building a ukulele with a spanish heel.  There are so many good ideas in this book that it is worth getting regardless of the method you are using for assembly.

The best Go-bar deck I have seen is Kathy Matsushita's deck.  She uses 3/4 inch pipes (3 foot long) as uprights and uses pipe clamp ends to hold the double thickness adjustable shelf in the correct position.  This allows for easy and fast adjustment of the deck.  I made a similar deck using pipe clamp flanges to secure the top and bottom instead of the usual threaded rods and I just love it.

This deck might appear to be larger than needed for a ukulele but you may decide to move to guitars at some point and this deck will handle them also.

Here is a picture of Kathy's deck.  Check out her web page.  She has a whole bunch of cool building journals including ukulele builds.  She also modified the deck by adding a television swivel to allow her to pivot the go-bar deck which is a great idea for a small shop.

http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushita/otherinstruments/photos/tracyuke/glueba...

Don

IP Logged

mcramer

Ukulele Fan

Marion, NY
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 1:34am

Hi Don ~ thank you for responding quickly; Michael and Asa's book came in the mail yesterday Smiley  I can't read it fast enough....while reading that is where I saw the "assembly Jig Work Board" statement and looked for the picture and or plan by skipping ahead in the book (did not see) so I will re-read the book but I do not want to get to far ahead of my self.....
Thanks for the go-bar deck photo....GREAT Stuff

Mike

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 8:48am

Mike:
Page 23 in my edition shows the a go-bar deck with threaded inserts located in the bench-top. If you continue building, you will probably try building a guitar or two and the deck that Don is talking about would save you from up-sizing your equipment.

Good luck on the concert.

Bob Cool

IP Logged

robbyrob

Ukulele Fan

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:34am

Hi,

I'm curious about the "assembly jig work board" as well. I looked/searched through this forum a bit and couldn't find it. Does anyone have the plans for it to share?

Thanks,

Rob

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:41am

This is just a flat surface with two raised edges.  (Photo on pages 12 and 13)  Sort of like a tray...it has to be big enough for your joined backs/fronts.

Using one edge to secure the first plate and wedges along the second edge to squeeze the plates tight together when joining. 

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us