Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bending Sides for Uke (Read 3712 times)
JIM

Ukulele Fan

Bending Sides for Uke
Aug 18th, 2011 at 1:03pm

Aloha Everyone!
This is my first post and I am getting ready to start a baitone uke, and gathering as much info as possible. I still consider myself a beginning uke maker (far form a luthier yet!). I have made a few ukes & guitars from kits and am now ready to start my maiden journey down the road of my own construction. My question is what would some recomendations be for types of wood to use for  bending the sides of the baritone I am going to build?
What bends easier? With less chance of breakage/splitting.
I was considering a Figured Mahogany. Would this be more brittle than straight grain Mahogany?
Any comments, advice, directions or suggestions is much appreciated!
Much Mahalo!

IP Logged

sweetgum

Ukulele Lover!

Re: Bending Sides for Uke
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:51pm

your best bet, whatever type of wood you use, is to get a 3x3, then cut a few extra sets. try with some cheap stuff too, it takes a bit to feel when the wood is ready to bend. once you have the cheap stuff bent, then go for your figured stuff! don't be scared, its going to come out fine!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us