HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DONE! - 3-year old Hana Lima Tenor (Read 3296 times)
Harold O.

another good day

West Hills, SoCal
DONE! - 3-year old Hana Lima Tenor
May 10th, 2012 at 3:38am

I had every intention of building the tenor kit I bought in 2009. But things got busy and the distraction pushed my scheduling back a ways. It's done now!

http://www.westhillswood.com/hana-lima-ukulele-build.html

My first effort at bending cracked one of the bubinga sides, so I switched to walnut (of which I had some thin material in the shop already).

I used Aquila strings and am quite happy with the results. There are a lot of lessons to be learned in building a ukulele. This would have been much more difficult without a wood shop and much easier if I had someone looking over my shoulder.

Harold O.

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: DONE! - 3-year old Hana Lima Tenor
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2012 at 8:54pm

Harold,

Good job!  The uke look very nice. I did take the class and the number one thing that I took away is the understanding that almost any mistake can be repaired and or turned into design opportunities. This point has helped a great deal. It adds confidence and limits fear. Wink

Take care,

Philip

IP Logged

Harold O.

another good day

West Hills, SoCal
Re: DONE! - 3-year old Hana Lima Tenor
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2012 at 6:29pm

Thanks, Phillip. Yes, soooo many design opportunities presented themselves along the way.

Now those same opportunities have taken up residence in my shop as I am attempting to build a couple more tenors from scratch. From a construction standpoint, building a ukulele is not too difficult. But there sure is a lot to go wrong. And getting one to sound good, look good, and pass basic muster requires time and effort.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us