HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trials of an amateur builder (Read 2056 times)
konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Trials of an amateur builder
May 15th, 2012 at 10:54pm

I been very slowly working on a guitar for my father and had a great idea. Iíll build a soprano from parts I have laying around to practice my first spray finish.† Boxed it up with some real nice figured mahogany and thought I would use a butt joint on the neck. Flossed the neck nice and tight and started my glue up. Gluing and clamping was a mess and next thing I know the neck moved overnight and my neck was on crooked. Must remember dry fitting should include clamping. Removing the neck went ok but I scorched the wood. Sanded the wood down and now have a bolt on neck.† Changed my wifeís car battery and somehow while returning the tools to the garage I somehow managed to drip some of the baking soda solution on the uke. Found it the next day and nothing will remove it. I will either need to stain the wood a dark color or use dye in the finish to cover the spots. It is a shame because it was really nice with lots of rays. Now I have lost my prepped fret board. How do you lose a fret board? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when starting the soprano I discovered a whole gallon of finish had left the can and spread across my work bench, into a drawer of small parts, and finished down the side to the floor(already dry). Things donít always go as planned but I know I can fix most anything given time.† †† †† Roll Eyes

Philip
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2012 at 7:14am by konacat »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us